Recipe: Baked French Fries {with a kick}

Meeting my husband Gary opened me up to so many tasty foods I never realized we could actually make at home.  For instance, before him I had no idea how to make french fries at home from scratch.  When we first got married we made them all.the.time, deep fried and salty as we could stand. SO good, but so bad for us, which is why we decided we needed to quit making them.  Every once in a while we get a craving for them, but since having kids and trying to be sure to feed them healthier meals, I wanted to find a quick, easy, tasty way to bake them rather than deep fry them.  I found a great way on Instructables to speed up the baking process (because let’s face it, I don’t always plan ahead far enough to give an hour or more of prep and bake time), and threw together some spices.  Now we have a quicker way to make delicious baked french fries when we want them, like with our tasty Juicy BBQ Hamburgers!

Baked French Fries

5.0 from 5 reviews
Baked French Fries

Ingredients
  • 4-5 potatoes, cut into wedges
  • Vegetable oil
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • ½ teaspoon paprika
  • ¼ chili powder
  • ¼ cajun seasoning
  • salt
Instructions
  1. Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees F.
  2. Place potato wedges in a microwave-safe bowl, cover with plastic wrap and microwave for 6 minutes
  3. Carefully remove from microwave, carefully (VERY CAREFULLY) remove plastic wrap, avoiding steam, and drain on paper towels
  4. Whisk together 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, chili powder and cajun seasoning in a medium bowl.
  5. Add potato wedges and toss until coated
  6. Place potato wedges on the baking sheet, spreading evenly
  7. Bake for 25 minutes. You may want to flip fries halfway through baking to brown evenly (though I forgot and they were still browned fine)
  8. Transfer to paper towel and blot to remove any excess oil
  9. Season with salt to taste

Comments

1. Carolyn A Colley says:

these sound good, my son would love them

2. Looks delicious! My grandson loves french fries. I’ll have to try these!

3. Yum! These sound great and I love that you can speed up the cooking by putting them in the microwave! 🙂

4. My son and husband would totally love these – they like everything spicy

5. the combination of spices sounds great. I have to try it

6. Sandy VanHoey says:

Oh yummy! I make them the bad way and occasionally I make them real bad mixing flour and a bunch of spices together but they are like breaded french fries and are so good. Everyone loves them but…I deep fry them…Yikes, I know. These sound delicious and I am going to print this out now that i pinned and try this. Thanks so much for sharing

7. We love baking our fries. My grandpa would ask for Jojo fries during the summer and this is how we’d typically make ours. We still enjoy having fried fries though. My brother makes really awesome ones. He’ll bake and chill the potatoes before cutting them and then he’ll fry them in a 3/4-1 inch of either coconut, olive or grapeseed oil. Yum! Have you tried sweet potato fries?

8. We don’t have a deep fryer so this is a great and healthier alternative!

9. natalie nichols says:

Yum! Coming from Maryland, I always love my fries with Old Bay and vinegar!

10. Oh my! I love that these are so fast to cook. We have been trying to find a good baked fry recipe but haven’t found one yet. I can’t wait to try these out

11. meegan whitford says:

These look and sound yummy I love love french fries!!

12. This is an interesting take on Cajun fries. Thanks for sharing it.

13. They sure look tasty, I’d definitely give them a try,

14. Amanda Alvarado says:

Ok I never even would have thought to microwave them before cooking! I was wondering how long it would take for raw potatoes to cook in the oven when cut up like this! LOL

15. ilove the sound of them wow thak you

16. Felicia Aguilar says:

These sound delicious and much more healthy than fried fries! I’ll have to give this a try soon.

17. Carolsue says:

These sound good! I love spicy fries!

18. Tiffany Winner says:

this is very similar to the recipe i usually use, i havne’t tried cajun seasoning yet though

19. These sound delicious I will have to try these soon.

20. Rebecca says:

These look so good. Too bad my 5 year old would say, “These are too spicy!”

Trackbacks

1. […] hamburgers- but I was getting tired of eating the unhealthy deep fried ones.  I decided to make baked french fries instead, and they are SO […]