We all know kids can be inquisitive, mischievous, quick… If you’re a parent it’s likely you know from experience. I sure do! While all of my kids have had their fair share of “normal”, none of them fit the above descriptions more than my sweet, adorable 2-year-old Connor. The kid is into things non-stop, and when you’re busy cleaning up one mess, he’s busy making another. If I turn my head for 5 seconds he’s in the fridge grabbing a yogurt, and while I’m taking it from him and putting it away, he’s on the counter trying to reach the cereal. It’s like this in every room of the house; there’s always something he wants that’s off-limits or out of reach, but he has no intention of leaving it be if he can help it.
While I worry about him falling from the counter and getting hurt or dropping a pan on his foot while trying to get it out of the cupboard to play with, nothing scares me more than when he climbs on the counter in the bathroom to get to the band-aids in the medicine cabinet. Like most people, we use the medicine cabinet like it’s supposed to be used; for medicine. Until recently I never had to worry about one of the kids getting into the medicine cabinet; They knew it was off limits and listened when we told them no. That is, until Connor discovered he could climb. *sigh* So far we haven’t had any scares when it comes to him trying to get into the medicines, but that’s because it’s something I KNOW to watch out for and be aware of. But what about the dangers we don’t think about?
When Safe Kids Worldwide sent me the information to share with you in this post I was made aware of things I’d never considered before, dangers that I hadn’t thought of. Aside from the medicine cabinet where medicines are stored up and out of the way (even if your child is crazy like mine and climbs up to get it), there are so many other items in your home that can be a danger to your young child! Eye drops, vitamins, and pills you may keep in your purse or diaper bag are huge dangers. And how many of us think about that diaper rash cream sitting on the changing table? Did you know that is also an item that can cause medicine poisoning to your child? That’s something I never thought of!
One of the things that jumped out at me was vitamins. The kitchen cupboard where we keep our cups is also where my husband keeps his vitamins. Connor is able to get into that cupboard more easily than any other upper cupboard in our kitchen. Why I had never thought of that, I don’t know, but I can tell you since being made aware those vitamins have now been moved.
Consider anything and everything that could be harmful to your child and put it out of reach. When you’ve got company in town visiting, be sure their medicines and vitamins are put out of reach. When one of your children is sick, be sure and put medicine you give him up and out of reach after every dose (and be sure you are giving him the proper dose)! Medicines kept down for convenience pose a huge risk to curious children.
A friend of mine had this issue with her young child. The children’s medicine happened to be in reach of her 2 year old, and before she realized it her daughter had downed quite a bit of the bottle. They rushed her to the children’s hospital to have her checked out. Thankfully she was treated quickly and was fine, but it caused quite a scare for all of us (and was a huge eye opener to all of us parents).
The fact is, every 8 minutes a child is treated in the emergency room for accidental medicine poisoning. That number is staggering! Please look at the infographic below. The more aware we are of the dangers, the more we can protect our children. Spread the word and help protect the special children in your life!
I wrote this review while participating in a campaign for Mom Central Consulting on behalf of Safe Kids Worldwide and I received a promotional item to thank me for my participation.