I participated in a campaign on behalf of Mom Central Consulting for ACH Food Companies Inc. I received a promotional item as a thank-you for participating.
I’ve decided Karo Syrup makes everything better. Seriously, of the things I’ve baked using Karo Syrup in comparison to the things that don’t use it, I generally prefer the Karo Syrup recipes better. It could be because it adds a different sweetness to it, or it could be that it adds a bit of a different consistency… Either way, it’s awesome. Totally makes sense though; Karo syrup is a trusted product that has helped people create delicious desserts for more than 100 years. PLUS, it is the only widely distributed brand of corn syrup that contains 0 grams of high-fructose corn syrup; something I’m far more comfortable serving to my family!
As I mentioned in a few previous posts, we’ve been on a vacation visiting my mom’s family (with a stop over at Disneyland on the way up). Mom and I, plus my 4 kiddos and my nephew, all road-tripping together has been a fun adventure!
Every road trip requires snacks, and bite-sized are much easier- for the kids, anytime, and for on the road too- but they’re more fun! When looking for a tasty, easy snack to make for our trip, I came across these Chewy Chocolate Granola Bars (using Karo Syrup!) and decided this was what I had to make. They taste great, but can be much healthier than many other snacks too, depending on what you include in them. The oats are great for you, as are the sunflower seeds, and if you have any wheat germ to throw in, (an optional addition per the directions), that would make it even better for you too. And the taste??? Fabulous, to say the least! This one is also great because it requires no baking!
- 2-1/2 cups quick OR old-fashioned oats
- 2 cups crispy rice cereal
- ½ cup shelled sunflower seeds
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¼ cup toasted wheat germ, optional
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup Karo® Light Corn Syrup
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Spice Islands® Pure Vanilla Extract
- Spray 13 x 9-inch pan with cooking spray.
- Mix together cereals, sunflower seeds, chocolate chips and wheat germ in a large bowl.
- Combine peanut butter, corn syrup and brown sugar in a microwaveable bowl. Microwave on HIGH (100%) for 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in vanilla extract until well blended and smooth.
- Pour over cereal mixture and stir until evenly coated. Spoon into prepared pan. Press down firmly. Let stand for an hour; cut into bars.
These ended up being great for me to snack on while I drove, and as you’ll see below, they were a hit with the kids too (photo of just one, however, because the others were anti-photos at the time, haha).
Check out the Karo Syrup website and the Karo Syrup Facebook page for more info, recipes, and fun!