Don’t pass out on me now… I know I haven’t posted a recipe in MONTHS (well, aside from the photo-less alfredo sauce I shared in my last Recipe Pin Win post- find it here if you’re interested). But here you go.
I hesitated to share this because I feel like it’s kind-of a “cheat recipe”. You see, I suffer from this issue… If the recipe is too easy, it’s not real cooking. I know, I’m crazy! But I seriously feel like I’m a cheater if I don’t put a ton of work into a meal. I prefer the easy ones, but I feel more ‘accomplished’ and worthy of culinary compliments if I put a ton of time and effort into a meal. Yes, crazy.
Anyway, this is a recipe we have at least twice a month; It’s regularly requested by my family and if they had it their way we’d have it once a week. It’s delicious, it’s easy, and it’s fairly inexpensive (we buy the chicken, pesto, cheese, bread all at Costco in bulk for our family of 6 and it’s cheaper than at the grocery store). I think it’s a pretty perfect meal. Best of all, it’s SO versatile. Try provolone, muenster, or your other favorite cheese instead of mozzarella (in the photos I have muenster on the sandwich). Substitute spinach leaves or arugula instead of lettuce. The sandwich in the photograph also has sun-dried tomatoes on it because I forgot to pick up fresh tomatoes, and it tasted amazing. So much so that I’ll probably be adding that from now on! If you’d rather use a whole chicken breast instead of shredded chicken from a can, go for it! See? SO versatile! 🙂 We also spread extra pesto on the bread because we love pesto.
- 1/4 mayo
- 3 Tablespoons Pesto Sauce
- 2- 12.5 oz cans of chunk chicken breast-drained
- Mozarella cheese- sliced
- Tortas- sliced in half length-wise
- Combine mayo, pesto and chicken in a bowl and mix until blended.
- Spread butter on bread and toast, soft side down, in a pan until browned.
- Serve sandwiches on torta with lettuce, tomato, mozzarella and pesto chicken mixture.
- Feel free to personalize your sandwich! Sub provolone, muenster, or your other favorite cheese instead of mozzarella. Try spinach leaves or arugula instead of lettuce. Add sun-dried tomatoes instead of fresh sliced tomatoes. Try a grilled chicken breast instead of canned chicken. Add alfalfa sprouts for extra crunch and flavor if you want. Spread pesto sauce on the bread if you want more pesto flavor... Go crazy, have fun!